– Enacts the Healthy Workplaces, Healthy Families Act of 2014 to provide that an employee who, on or after July 1, 2015, works in California for 30 or more days within a year from the commencement of employment is entitled to paid sick days to be accrued at a rate of no less than 1 hour for every 30 hours worked.
– An employee would be entitled to use accrued sick days beginning on the 90th day of employment.
– Authorizes an employer to limit an employee’s use of paid sick days to 24 hours or 3 days in each year of employment.
– Prohibits an employer from discriminating or retaliating against an employee who requests paid sick days.
– Requires employers to satisfy specified posting, notice, and recordkeeping requirements.
New Paid Sick Leave Posters/Publications:
– Revised Notice to Employee (Labor Code §2810.5) in English and Spanish now includes Paid Sick Leave
– New Paid Sick Leave Posters English and Spanish
Counsel to Management: Employers should carefully review and update their policies to be consistent with the new requirements. For questions or assistance with the new sick leave law, please contact The Saqui Law Group.